Expatriate Immigration Guide
Strategic Planning 2008-2013
University Policies & Procedures
University Telephone Directory
Rehan Ahmed, CEng, Fellow HEA.
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering
Tel: (+966 1) 2157763
||Department of Mechanical Engineering,
University, London, UK
- Director of Graduate Program, Engineering Materials Design and
Applications, School of Engineering and Physical Sciences,
University, UK, 2005-2010.
- Director of Year 2 Studies, School of Engineering and Physical Sciences,
Heriot-Watt University, UK, 2003-2010.
- Academic Liaison Officer for IMechE at Heriot-Watt University UK,
- Chair of Postgraduate Staff Student Committee, School of Engineering and
Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, UK, 2003-04.
- Radiation Protection Supervisor, School of Engineering and Physical
Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, UK, 2007-2010.
- Subject Leader for Mechanics of Materials, School of Engineering and
Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, UK, 2008-10.
- Member of Faculty recruitment, Student Recruitment, Safety and Research
Committees at Heriot-Watt University UK.
- Apr. 2003 – Dec. 2009 Lecturer B, Mechanical Engineering, School of
Engineering and Physical Sciences,
Heriot-Watt University, UK.
- Aug. 1999 – Mar. 2003 Lecturer A, Mechanical Engineering, School of
Engineering and Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, UK.
- Feb. 1998 – Aug.1999 Post-Doctorate (Research Associate),
- Mar. 1996 – Feb. 1998 Teaching Assistant, Brunel University, UK.
- Jul. 1992 – Mar. 1993 Site Engineer, ASIACON Pvt. Ltd in collaboration
with F. L. Smith of Denmark.
Industrial Consultancy Work
Dr Ahmed acts as a consultant for a number of industrial sectors to help
provide solutions for a wide range of engineering problems. These consultancies
have involved accidental damage investigations, e.g. for BBC Scotland, defense
related projects e.g. with Raytheon Systems UK, design evaluation of Remote
Operated Vehicles (ROV’s) for sub-sea oil installations. Following is a list of most
BAC Group, UK; Fatigue Evaluation of Anode Assemblies.
- 2008 Weatherford, UK; Creep and Finite Element Modeling of
ROV’s Display Unit.
- 2008 Inframat/(Farmingdale State College,
USA); Fatigue of CVD Coatings for Aerospace
- 2007 OPTOS Ltd, UK; Three Dimensional Topography of Bearings.
- 2007 BBC Radio Scotland, UK; Investigation of Satellite Dish Failure.
- 2005 Raytheon Systems, UK; Tensile Evaluation of Keenserts.
- 2005 Raytheon Systems, UK; Structure Property Evaluation of Cu-Ni
Current Research Projects
- Nano- micro-mechanics and modeling of engineering microstructures and
nano-composite coatings. Nonlinear Finite Element Modeling (YouTube Channel) and
planned Molecular Dynamics Simulations (MDS) of engineering designs provide
a comprehensive model base for this research.
- Design and characterization of optical and dielectric nano-coatings to
improve the efficiency of solar cells using Chemical Vapor Deposition
- Hydroxyapatite coatings for biomedical implants in orthopedics and
- Optimizing the design of high stress components for energy, oil and gas,
aerospace sectors to combat design, durability and failure issues in gas
turbines, gears/bearings/cam-tappet arrangements
in automotive and transportation industries, and development of new durable
alloys for a range of industrial applications.
Recent Research Grants
- Ahmed, R., Fitzpatrick, M, Edwards, L., Paradowski, A., (2008),
Science and Technology
Facilities Council, RB910205, Nano-structured Hydroxyapatite Coatings
for Orthopedic Implants - Modeling the role of residual stress, 2009.
Project selected for the forthcoming ISIS Highlight report 2010
This collaborative project with
Monitor Coatings UK and
Technological University, Singapore considers the modeling of nano-composite
coatings for biomedical implants. State of the art Finite Element Modeling
using complex nonlinear computing form a major part of this project.
- Ahmed, R., Edwards, L., Oliver, E., Science and Technology Facilities
Council, RB810413, Residual strain in thermally sprayed ceramic nano-coatings,
This collaborative project with
Fujmi Incorporated Japan considers the role of residual stress on the
structure property relationships of Al2O3 coatings. Evaluations using the
state of the art neutron diffraction technique form a major part of this
- Reuben, R. L., Prior, K. A., Moore, A. J., Jones, J., Kar, A. K.,
Warburton, R. J., Ocone, R., Ahmed, R., Dhariwal, R., Desmulliez, M., Scottish
Higher Education Funding Council, Micro-nano fabrication and
characterization facility, 2006, Total project cost £1.2Million.
Supervision & Examination of Graduate Students
- Supervised a number of PhD, MPhil and MSc students and have been the
external PhD and MPhil examiner for a number of universities in UK.
Selected Journal Publications (last five years)
- J. Parry, R. Ahmed, F. Dear, J. Shephard, M. Schmidt, L. Li, D. Hand, “Fiber-Laser
Process for Cutting Thick Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia: Application and
Modeling”, Applied Ceramic Technology, DOI:
- M. Salehabadi, M. Jin, J. Yang, H. Haghighi, R. Ahmed and B. Tohidi, “Finite
Element Modeling of Casing in Gas Hydrate Bearing Sediments”, SPE
Drilling & Completion Journal, Volume 24, Number 4, pp. 545-552, 2009.
Paper considered for the Cedric K. Ferguson Medal
- H. Yu, R. Ahmed, H. de Villiers Lovelock and S. Davies, “Influence
of Manufacturing Process and Alloying Element Content on the Tribomechanical
Properties of Cobalt-Based Alloys”, ASME Journal of Tribology, 131(1),
Paper nominated for the Best Paper Award in ASME Jr of Tribology
- N. H. Faisal, J. A. Steel, R. Ahmed and R. L. Reuben, “The
Use of Acoustic Emission (AE) to Characterize Vickers Indentation Behavior
of HVOF Thermally Sprayed WC-12%Co Coatings”, Jr. of Thermal Spray
Technology, Volume 18, Number4, 525-535, 2009.
Paper featured as Jr. of Thermal Spray Technology Highlight by ASM
- R. Ahmed, H. Yu, L. Edwards and J. Santisteban, “Neutron
Diffraction Residual Strain Measurements in Post-treated Thermal Spray
Cermet Coatings”, Material Science and Engineering-A, 498, 191-202,
- R. Ahmed, H. Yu, S. Stewart, L. Edwards and J. Santisteban, “Residual
Strain Measurement in Thermal Spray Cermet Coatings Via Neutron Diffraction”,
ASME Journal of Tribology, 129(2), 411-418, 2007.
- S. Osawa, T. Itsukaichi and R. Ahmed, “Influence
of Substrate Properties on the Impact Resistance of WC Cermet Coatings”,
Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 14(4), 495-501, 2005
- S. Stewart, R. Ahmed, and T. Itsukaichi “Rolling
Contact Fatigue of Post-treated WC-NiCrBSi Thermal Spray Coatings”,
Surface and Coatings Technology, 190 (Issue 2-3), 171-189, 2005.
Selected Refereed Conference Publications (last five years)
- M. Salehabadi, SPE, M. Jin, J. Yang, R. Ahmed and B. Tohidi, “The
Effect of Casing Eccentricity on the Casing Stability Analysis of a Wellbore
Drilled in Gas Hydrate Bearing Sediments”, SPE EUROPEC/EAGE Annual
Conference and Exhibition, Barcelona, Spain, 14-17 June 2010.
- R. Ahmed, N. Faisal, R. L. Reuben, A. Paradowska, M. Fitzpatrick, J.
Kitamura and S. Osawa, “Neutron Diffraction Residual Strain measurements in
Thermally Sprayed Alumina Coatings Deposited Via Air Plasma and High
Velocity Oxy-Fuel Techniques”,
International Conference on Neutron Scattering, Tennessee, USA,
Physics: Conference Series, Expected 2010.
- R. Ahmed, N. H. Faisal, S. M. Knupfer, A. M. Paradowska, M. E.
Fitzpatrick, K. A. Khor and J. Cizek, “Neutron Diffraction Residual Strain
Measurements in Plasma Sprayed
Nanostructured Hydroxyapatite Coatings for Orthopedic Implants, Materials
Science Forum Vol. 652 (2010) pp 309-314.
- J.P. Parry, F. C. Dear, R. Ahmed, J. D. Shephard and D. P. Hand, “Fiber
Laser Processing of Thick Yttria Stabilized Zirconia”, 27th
Congress on Applications of Lasers & Electro-Optics, CA, USA, October
- H. Yu, R. Ahmed, H. de Villiers Lovelock and S. Davies, “Tribo-Mechanical
Evaluations of Cobalt-Based (Stellite 4) Alloys Manufactured Via HIPing and
Congress on Engineering, ISBN 978-988-98671-2-6, 1385-1390, 2007.
- N. H. Faisal, J. A. Steel, R. Ahmed, R. L. Reuben, G. Heaton and B.
of Acoustic Emission for Monitoring the HVOF Thermal Spraying Process”,
Advanced Materials Research, 13-14, 291-297, 2006.
- R. Ahmed,
ASM Handbook, Vol. 11, Section 6E, Failure Analysis and Prevention,
Shipley and Becker Edition, ISBN 0-87170-704-7, Nov. 2002.
MicroMechanics and Materials (M3) Research Group
Related Research Facilities at Alfaisal University
Some research and teaching equipment